Six reasons IoT storage should be object-based
With the advancement of technology, we are using more and more devices with an internet connection. These IOT’s (Internet of the things) generate the tremendous amount of data in a small but hefty number of data sets. Managing this tremendous amount of data is a big challenge for today’s organizations. Furthermore, the data sets generated by IOTs is highly unstructured in nature and this makes the traditional storage methods unsuitable to store this. This is why the object-based storage systems eg. private cloud, public cloud or hybrid cloud best suited for IoT data.
What is object-based storage: Object-based storage is a data storage architecture which differs from file storage or block storage systems. In it, the data sets are stored in form of objects. These are the data themselves and have an extensive amount of metadata associated with them which is better suited for unstructured data like IOT data sets.
Here are the six reasons why the object storage is the best storage system for data sets of IOTs:
- Scalability: The object-based storage is highly scalable. Its flat architecture is infinitely scalable and can support storage of trillions of files and yottabyte limits. This a reason why organizations choose object-oriented storage or clouds as there preferred system for IOT data systems.
- Use of extensive and flexible metadata: The Object-based storage is also very flexible and provides an extensive range of metadata. It can go from kilobytes to gigabytes for any object. This feature facilitates the search and analytic operations. That’s why many data analytics platform Hadoop, Yarn, no SQL etc. favor object-based storage systems.
- Object storage data is durable: The object storage data is also highly durable because it uses latest erasure coding which is very efficient, cheap and resilient than systems like RAID. This durability is highly critical when you want your data to be used for analysis for a considerable long time to come.
- Increased protection of data: The object-based storage also very secure form of storing your IOT data. The machinery involved in these systems has the capacity to periodically check the integrity of your data and correcting any issue found regularly even if you are not accessing it for decades.
- Object storage is highly ingestible: The object-based storage systems have very high and scalable rates of ingestion of data. It can handle few to millions of streams simultaneously. As the data is locally stored in the cloud also there is no latency and saving of computational power.
- Object-based storage is cost-effective: The object-based storage systems can provide the most economical way to store any kind of IoT data possible. Because these are highly scalable and flexible repository of data which can store petabytes of data by use of nodes. By using these any organization can save the substantial amount of money which is the ultimate goal of business processes.
By looking at the complexity and difficulty of storing the IOT data in 21 century the object-based storage systems either public or private are the best solutions to the problem. Their flexibility and cost-effectiveness make them ideal choices for any organization whether big or small.